Sunday, January 29, 2012

Apple Granola - How to combine pleasure with health.

          Do I really have to speak about all the benefits of eating granola for breakfast ? 
Since I've been eating a bowl of granola every morning (i.e. about a year and a half), my relationship towards breakfast has changed. Before that, I was rather the kind of girl who used to eat the first pack of cookies or biscuits that she saw in the sideboard. But then I discovered oatmeal, quinoa, rice flakes. I've started eating granola I bought at the supermarket and I soon noticed that I wasn't hungry before lunch anymore, and that I was feeling better, somewhat more energetic.
A few months ago I've discovered a great book that taught how to make home made granola and cereal bars (it's a French book). And I just love making granola; I love making new combinations with the cereals and nuts and dried fruits. This recipe, adapted from a recipe from the book, is my favorite one so I wanted to share it with you guys.


Ingredients:
- 300G oatmeal flakes
- 100g puffed rice
- 100g  puffed amaranth
- 50g toasted chopped hazelnuts
- 50g golden linseeds
- 50g pumpkin seeds
- 200g apple compote
- 200g agava syrup
- 1tb sunflower oil
- 150g dried apple slices
- 100g chopped dark chocolate (optional)

Instructions:
Preheat the oven at 300°C
1) In a bowl, combine all the dried ingredients together except the apple slices and the dark chocolate chips
2) In a saucepan, combine the liquid ingredients. Heat until the mixture is hot and homogenous.
3) Pour the mixture into the bowl. Toss the mixture until all the ingredients are coated.
4) Spread the granola on a sheet of parchment paper.
5) Bake for about 40min until the granola is crispy and golden brown. Take the granola out and stir it around every 10min to prevent it from burning.
6) Take the granola out and let it cool down for 30min. Mix in the dried apple slices and dark chocolate chips.


Eat within a month.


Enjoy,
B.

No comments: